CoralWatch Coral Health Chart Distinctive Specialty
CoralWatch with the help of PADI instructors Chris Roelfsema and Diana Kleine have developed a PADI approved ‘CoralWatch Coral Health Chart Distinctive Specialty’ specialty in conjunction with Project AWARE, so you can teach, dive and certify your students in coral monitoring and data collection. This Distinctive Specialty course highlights the impact of coral bleaching and provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to identify coral health and record data. The specialty is aimed at snorkelers and divers who like to get recognition for their gained knowledge and skills, as it is not a requirement to do the surveys. photo 'Crystal Dive Koh Tao, Thailand'
The goals of the CoralWatch Coral Health Chart Distinctive Specialty course training are:
1. To raise awareness about the importance of coral reef conservation and introduce CoralWatch.
2. To inform students about coral reef impacts such as coral bleaching.
3. To introduce the Coral Health Chart as a monitoring tool.
4. To provide students with the knowledge and skills needed to identify coral health and record data
5. To enable students to plan, organize and execute a coral health chart survey in a safe manner for both students and the environment.
6. To emphasise the importance of Coral Health Chart monitoring activities and provide coral reef conservation opportunities through participation in Project AWARE’s CoralWatch Project
7. To submit coral health data, contributing to science and conservation
If you are a PADI Instructor and are interested in applying for the instructor rating all you need to do is
- send this to firstname.lastname@example.org
CoralWatch will assess your application for permission, and on approval they will sent you: the signed permission and the distinctive specialty outline.
Both documents should then be sent with the necessary PADI specialty instructor applications form, to your local PADI Training Department.